Week 4: The sounds of language

For this week, read chapters 4 and 5 (pp.21–33) in the book by David Crystal and chapter 28 (pp.124–127) in Rickerson & Hilton’s book. As always, both are on the Readings page of the class website. I’ll post a video discussing these readings this week, probably by Wednesday afternoon.

Submit Quiz #1 by 11:59pm on Friday, 17 February. This covers the readings and videos from weeks 1–4. Take this quiz as many times as you like before the deadline, but I will only grade your final submission. This is an open book quiz – you may refer to the readings, discussion board posts, and videos – and you are welcome to help one another study, but you may not share answers with one another. Sharing answers will constitute cheating and will earn you a 0 on this quiz without the chance to retake it.

Finally, please respond to the Week 4 discussion board topic by 11:59pm on Friday, 17 February. If you did not yet respond to any of the prior weeks’ topics, you may do so for partial credit. Almost a full third of the class did not respond to the Week 3 topic, which was due last Friday. If this applies to you, post your response ASAP!

After I have all of your quiz submissions graded, I will send each of you a progress report with your grade so far based on everything you’ve submitted. Be on the lookout for those emails early next week.